Monday, August 19, 2013

Freeletics - Day 1 of 15 weeks

So, I've begun a 15 week challenge called Freeletics.  Starting today, I will be doing an intensive bodyweight-only workout 4 times a week.  Today was Day 1.  I am exhausted and I feel like I suck.  I could've sworn I had more strength than I do, especially in the abs.  I guess not, since I couldn't do more than 5 push-ups and couldn't do a single sit-up.  The first 4 weeks of this workout has me doing burpees, which look great when you're able to do them...but I cannot right now.  I had to take a lot of pauses and drink water.  I was drenched with sweat and I had trouble at times getting myself to keep going.  BUT, even though I had to modify my sit-ups and burpees, I did ALL the repetitions required in the workout.  I should be proud of that.

Another thing I noticed was that throughout this entire workout, my ankles were not swollen at all.  Because they are flat, and one of them is partially fused, I'm used to them being swollen to some degree everyday.  So, to see that they were not swollen during a workout is very significant.  I'm hoping this is a sign that working out will improve my ankles.

After the workout, even though I was super tired, I had a lot of water, stretched my muscles, and did two rounds of my Tai Chi.  Oh, and I took a couple ibuprofen for what I knew was coming.  I feel like this "cool down" ritual would be important to ease the impact of what I'd just done.

Now to see how sore I am in the morning....oh and to take a photo of myself so I have something to compare to later on.

In the meantime, I'll have this guy's video to keep me motivated...




QUICK FOLLOW-UP: It's the next morning and I had feared this exercising would give me more struggle with upper body tension than I already experience.  I'm surprised to say I woke up feeling more relaxed than I have been.  Well, I guess I have nothing to lose then!  :)

No comments: